If this is your first time stopping by, then you might find it helpful to subscribe to the feed, follow on twitter, and become a fan on facebook!
Follow Green Girl on TwitterFan Green Girl on Facebook

Birthday Time!!! (Marshmallow Fondant Recipe)

|
My little bug turns 5 on Monday. I can't believe it. It seems like she's not supposed to be this big.



We had her party today and it was a total success! Well, unless you factor in the fact that my plan of having everything done the night before did NOT happen... AT ALL! I got all the cakes done literally 10 minutes before people started showing up!

She decided that for this party she wanted tacos and little mini cakes that said "eat me", like in Alice In Wonderland (her favorite movie).

So I started searching around for recipes. I knew I would need a lot of fondant and cakes that could withstand the weight of the fondant. Oh, and a good buttercream frosting recipe! For my fiance's daughters bday last year I used regular, nasty fondant... (But the cake turned out very pretty)

This time I wanted something that was going to taste better. So I decided to try Marshmallow Fondant! I have read many, many blog posts and articles about making MM fondant. In some people said it was soooo easy, but in others people said it was a big sticky mess. I was hoping for a smooth time... and I got it!

To start off I melted 16oz white mini marshmallows (use a good brand if you want a smooth result) with a couple of tablespoons of water by microwaving it in 30 second intervals until smooth. Then I dumped 3/4 of powdered sugar on top.
Next, I covered my working surface with crisco shortening (you will want to use crisco just because it will make it taste better in the end), and then coated my hands (backs, fronts, side, and in between fingers) with it as well. Trust me... do not skip this step because it feels gross... It well definitely be a big sticky mess if you don't.
Turn the MM/sugar out on the working surface and knead it for all your worth... It will seem like it's never going to turn into anything in the beginning, but it will start to come together pretty fast...




and just when you think it's never going to become solid.... 


Viola... you start having fondant consistency! 


Keep kneading it until it is smooth and... 

stretchy. You want it to where you can pull it... 

^^^ like this... without it breaking. 


so when it get to that point, form a ball with it and then wrap it in multiple layers of saran wrap... (I done 3)


Every thing I read said that at this point you should let it sit for a few hours, or if you're making it at night, then let it sit out for over night.
I let mine sit out about two hours and then I put it in the fridge. 
This is not something that you have to do. If you need to use it immediately then just make sure that there aren't any little bits of powdered sugar in it. You might need to add a few drops of water in order to get them all worked out.

In order to get it ready for the fridge you should unwrap it and cover it in a thick layer of crisco shortening. Then wrap it back up and place it in a ziploc bag, being sure to get as much air as possible out. 

MM fondant will store in the fridge for weeks! So take advantage of that fact and make it up a few days ahead. 

When I got up this morning and got it out to use I was immediately horrified because it was solid as a rock. All I could think was, "how the hell am I going to finish these cakes in time!" 
I took a deep breath and relaxed a little and then remember all the stuff I read about this being normal. I took it out of the bag (but left it wrapped) and tossed it in the microwave. I heated it in 10 second intervals for about 30 second total. Turning it over at each 10 second interval. When it was done it was nice and soft again. 

This stuff was amazing... I kneaded it  a few more times and it rolled out PERFECT! It cut smoothly, and not a single piece ripped... at all! 
The best part... 
it tasted amazing!!



I hope you all try this recipe! The cake was pretty awesome as well! The recipes for that and the buttercream frostings coming up next!!! 

Marshmallow Fondant
16 ounces white mini-marshmallows (use a good quality brand)
2 to 5 tablespoons water
2 pounds icing sugar
1/2 cup Crisco shortening (Use as much as you need)

Melt marshmallows and 2 tablespoons of water in a microwave or double boiler. To microwave, place the bowl in the microwave for 30 seconds, open microwave and stir, back in microwave for 30 seconds more, open microwave and stir again, and continue doing this until melted. It usually takes about 2 1/2 minutes total.
Place 3/4 of the powdered sugar on the top of the melted marshmallow mix.

Now grease your hands completely (palms, backs, and in between fingers), then grease the counter you will be using and dump the bowl of marshmallow/sugar mixture in the middle.

Start kneading it and keep going until you get a firm, smooth, elastic fondant. You can add more powdered sugar to help it come together. If it seems dry, add some water, a drop at a time, and knead it in. It took me about 5-7 minutes to get it worked out.







0 comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails