If this is your first time stopping by, then you might find it helpful to subscribe to the feed, follow on twitter, and become a fan on facebook!
Follow Green Girl on TwitterFan Green Girl on Facebook

Country Biscuits

|
I spent most of my early twenties looking for the perfect biscuit recipe. It took me a while, but I finally found it. So I thought I would share it all with you!

Country Butter Biscuits

1/3 c Shortening
2c all purpose flour
3 t baking powder
1 t salt
1/4 c FIRM butter
about 3/4 c milk

Preheat oven to 450. Combine flour, baking powder, and salt in a bowl. Cut shortening into mixture until it resembles fine crumbs (I use a fork for this). Cut butter into 1/4'' pieces (I cannot stress how important it is to keep the butter chilled and firm for this). Toss with flour mixture (Do not mash them down.) Stir in just enough milk till dough balls up and leaves the sides of the bowl (it usually takes the entire 3/4c plus about another T. for me).

Turn dough onto lightly floured surface. Gently roll to coat with flour. Now here is the trick to getting perfect fluffy, flaky biscuits. You do NOT want to over work the dough. It will make them dry and dense. I usually knead my dough about 10 times. Also, if you will fold the dough, then mash it down instead of kneading it with your fists, it will create the layers.

So fold it over itself and knead about 10 times. Then roll or pat dough out to about 1/2'' thick and cut with floured 3'' cutter. Place 1'' apart on an ungreased baking sheet and bake for about 12-15 mins. Remove immediately and brush tops with melted butter!

1 comments:

Denise said...

I wish it was naptime.... (just testing your comments per BlogHer.com question.)

Related Posts with Thumbnails